Transport Policy - Definition of Criteria
A suitable school is deemed to be:
- The LEA maintained school closest to the pupil's home by the nearest available route which provides education for the relevant age, ability and aptitude of a pupil, and for any SEN that he/she may have
- The nearest Welsh medium school (whether natural or designated)
- The nearest Voluntary Aided School
The LEA is not responsible for the cost of transport:
- Where parental preference results in a pupil being placed in a school or facility other than the nearest suitable school
- To schools maintained by other authorities where admission to those schools is a result of parental preference, unless that school is the nearest school.
- For pupils who reside outside the County Borough but who receive their education in Wrexham County Borough schools. Application should be made to the Authority in which they reside, if appropriate.
The LEA is required to provide free transport for eligible pupils of compulsory school age.
The LEA does not provide transport for pupils attending Nursery School or Nursery Classes at the age of three. Transport is provided from the commencement of school year in which the child attains the age of five.
- The LEA presently makes provision for pupils for what it considers necessary above compulsory school or college age to be transported free of charge to the nearest suitable school or college, on routes which are commissioned to provide transport.