Wrexham Council homepage


Skip operator registration

Licence summary

If you operate a skip hire business or own skips, you need a permit from the local authority to put a builder's skip on a public road. The authority registers operators who wish to hire out skips to the building trade or the public that may be placed on the public road. Only a skip owner or supplier can register to be able to put a skip on the highway (builders, householders etc. – please contact Registered Skip Companies).

Also see Placing Skips on the Public Highway

Eligibility Criteria

No provision in legislation

Regulation Summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence

Application Evaluation Process

The operator will need to carry adequate public liability insurance and be a registered waste carrier.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.

Target Completion Period 35 calendar days.

See Licence Application Fees.

Apply online

Apply for a licence to place a skip in the road

Change your existing licence to place a skip in the road


Network Management, Wrexham County Borough Council, Abbey Road, South Wrexham Industrial Estate, Wrexham LL13 9PW.

Phone: 01978 298989
Email: highwayroadworks@wrexham.gov.uk

Failed Application Redress

Please contact Wrexham County Borough Council in the first instance.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact Wrexham County Borough Council in the first instance.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice Consumer Service will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Trade Associations

Builders Merchants Federation (BMF)

Construction Equipment Association (CEA)

Construction Plant-hire Association (CPA)