Wrexham Council homepage


Petroleum licence

Licence summary

To run a business where petrol is stored for dispensing directly into the fuel tank of an internal combustion engine - or where large amounts of petrol are stored for private use - you need a licence from your local petroleum licensing authority.

Applications for areas in Greater London or a metropolitan county must be made to the local fire and rescue authority. In all other instances applications should be made to the local county or county borough council.

Fees will be payable for a licence.

Conditions may be attached to a licence.

Eligibility Criteria

No provision in legislation

Regulation Summary

A summary of the eligibility criteria for this licence

Application Evaluation Process

No provision in legislation

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it. You can do this online if you applied through the Business Link or Flexible Support For Business service or use the contact details below.

Target Completion Period 56 calendar days.

See Licence Application Fees.

Apply online

Apply for a licence to store petroleum

Tell us about a change to your existing petroleum licence

Apply to transfer your existing petroleum licence

Apply to renew a petroleum storage licence


Public Protection Services, Guildhall, Wrexham LL11 1AY

Phone: 01978 298990
Email: public_protection_service@wrexham.gov.uk

Failed Application Redress

Please contact Wrexham Council in the first instance.

If an application is refused the applicant may appeal to the Secretary of State.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact Wrexham Council in the first instance.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice Consumer Service will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Trade Associations

Federation of Petroleum Suppliers

FPS Forecourt Division

Petrol Retailers Association (PRA)