Wrexham Council homepage


Approved food premises

Licence summary

If you operate food premises you may need to be approved by your local authority.

Examples of types of premises that are required to be approved local authorities are stand alone (ie not attached to a slaughter house, cutting plant or game handling establishment):

You should contact your local authority to see if you require approval.

  • meat processing plants
  • meat preparation plants
  • minced meat processing operations and mechanically separated meat processing plants
  • cold stores

Also see:

Food Premises Approval

Food Premises Registration

Eligibility Criteria

No provision in legislation

Regulation Summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence (laying down specific hygiene rules for food of animal origin)

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence (on the hygiene of foodstuffs)

Application Evaluation Process

No provision in legislation

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.

Target Completion Period 35 calendar days.

See Licence Application Fees.

Apply online

Apply for approved food premises

Tell us about a change to your existing food premises approval


Public Protection Services, Ruthin Road, Wrexham LL13 7TU

Phone: 01978 813786
Email: public_protection_service@wrexham.gov.uk

Failed Application Redress

Please contact Wrexham Council in the first instance.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact Wrexham Council in the first instance.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice Consumer Service will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Trade Associations

Livestock & Meat Commission for Northern Ireland (LMC)

National Federation of Meat and Food Traders

Scottish Federation of Meat Traders Associations (SFMTA)