Welsh in Education Strategic Plan (2017-2020)
Imagine a town where you would be confident and comfortable speaking both Welsh and English in day to day life, at work or socialising with your friends so that the Welsh language is a natural part of life.
Wrexham County Borough Council is aiming to allow all children and young people to be able to do this and be part of a modern bilingual Wales and supporting the Welsh Government’s aim to have a million Welsh speakers by 2050.
Being able to speak two languages has many advantages. More and more businesses in Wales are looking to employ people that can speak both languages and bilingual people in Wales can earn between 8% and 10% more annually compared to people who speak only one language. Speaking two languages opens the door to a more varied world of work and social life. Two languages, double the choice!
That’s why we want to know what you think about our Welsh in Education Strategic Plan for the next three years. Comments can be sent to CSGA.WESP@wrexham.gov.uk. We want to know what you think about the points below…
- We want to make sure that we plan and invest in creating more places in Welsh medium schools and nurseries
- We will make sure that there are places in Welsh medium schools for all that want it
- We want to make sure that we support our young people, who are unable people to speak Welsh yet, to speak Welsh
- We want to promote the advantages of Welsh medium education at pre-school phase
- We want to support our young people in being able to speak Welsh outside of lessons and outside of school.
- We want our children and young people to leave education with high standards of advanced bilingual skills so that they can work through the medium of Welsh
- We want to identify and promote the career advantages of being bilingual and promote the opportunities in the economy where the use of Welsh is important for work
- We want more children and young people who speak Welsh to use it, be confident in using it and make sure that the Welsh language is relevant to everyone
- We want to make sure that training for staff in schools and nurseries is available, is relevant to their language need and helps more teachers and other professionals to be able to work through the medium of Welsh
- We want to work with other local authorities, the Welsh Government, universities and colleges to recruit and increase the number of staff in schools and nurseries that can work through Welsh
The closing date for responses to this consultation is 30th January 2017.